Monday 15 October 2007

I missed the first week of term, but was delighted to find that we have a lying down pose at last! I think Paul was reluctant to have lying down poses last year, because they take up more space in the storage racks and especially in the kiln. Space is an issue in our tiny studio. I think there are supposed to be thirteen students, but luckily there are usually a couple who don't turn up.

The challenges related to this pose are quite different from a seated pose. It is all about finding a way to express the weight of the figure, and the way it affects the comparatively soft surface she is lying on. Also the way our model supports one leg against the other is very interesting and quite hard to get right.

I'm two weeks into this pose - and this week I found an answer to a problem. The 'bed' that our model is lying on is really too high when it is perched on top of the wheely trolly (so it can be rotated). It is very difficult to look down on the model, and I thought of asking the cafe whether they had a wooden crate for some extra inches. Luckily I found a pair of steps to stand on - so now I can be as tall as Paul! It is not ideal because the steps are quite rickety, but it helps! I think Paul is trying to find a lower alternative for the bed.

No comments: